Code of Conduct
The Geoscience Alliance respects and honors all of its individuals as members of the community of earth. We come together as a group into a circle where everybody teachers and everybody learns. Native and community traditions are respected and valued. We work together to create a positive learning environment at our conferences. We recognize that we are all role models for younger participants and future generations. As such, we value a conference environment that is inclusive and free from harassment or discrimination.
By working together to create a positive, respectful learning environment, we support the mission of the Geoscience Alliance–to move Native Americans along the pathway towards success in the Geosciences through:
- creating new collaborations in support of geoscience education for Native American students
- establishing a new research agenda aimed at closing gaps in our knowledge on barriers and best practices related to Native American participation in the geosciences
- increasing participation by Native Americans in setting the national research agenda on issues in the geosciences, and particularly those that impact Native lands
- providing a forum to communicate educational opportunities for Native American students in geoscience programs
- understanding and respecting indigenous traditional knowledge
During Geoscience Alliance Conferences and Events
The Geoscience Alliance will strive to provide a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. In support of both professional development and academic success, the Geoscience Alliance Conference organizers will not tolerate any harassment, microaggression, or intimidation of conference participants, including attendees, speakers, exhibitors, sponsors or guests. Any such activity should be reported to the conference organizing committee members, whose badges will be clearly marked. Violators of this policy will be asked to leave the conference and may be banned from future activities.
Attendees at all Geoscience Alliance conferences are asked to refrain from the use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs while in attendance at the conference.