Next year’s conference:
- Set up a separate e-mail account for GA conference 2011
- Make contacts with tribal college faculty and presidents.
o We need better matriculation between tribal colleges and nearby universities
o 23/36 tribal colleges have an environmental science or natural resource program
Question: Do we have an advisory board?
- If we do have an advisory board, who would we want on it?
- What type of knowledge do we want?
Ten-year goal: Make sure GA is still around
o We need volunteers who will be active
o We need resources, people, and people time
- This has to be an organization*
o How do we sustain ourselves?
o Do we want to seek sponsorship?
o *Key point at the next conference
- Form affiliations with other science centers to synergize efforts rather than compete for students
o Ex: NCED talks to USGS, National Park Service
o Most agencies have tribal programs
o Increase communication between the federal world and the academic world
§ Memo of Understanding
- Don’t discount non-traditional students. Many of them are very strong, determined students.
- Possible links:
§ EPA directory of Tribal Champions
- Can open classrooms to have a GA member speak about what a geologist does and why it is important to broaden participation
- Middle school job shadow with local environmental scientists
- Family education model
o Tony – every time he takes his students (tribal community college) into the field he invites 7th and 8th graders to go with them.
§ Result is improved behavior and attention for both groups
Geoscience Alliance (GA) sponsorships
- Fund three students to AGU
- Science Fair awards
- Can be made as digital file (Powerpoint?) that GA members can print out and present locally
- GA members should look for opportunities within their own communities to give this special certificate award to Native American students with the best Earth science project.
- Certificate, invitation to join GA and ?
- Nievita Bueno Watts will look into how to sponsor a SACNAS award
- Diana Dalbotten will look into what we can give attendees
- GA members in attendance @ SACNAS can decide who to present the award to.
- AGU and other conferences
- Should we try to present certificates at other conferences?